Throughout the book, Hosea will show us that salvation is found in turning to the LORD and away from our sin. “Say of your brothers, ‘My people,’ and of your sisters, ‘My loved one.’ Israel Punished and Restored - “Rebuke your mother, rebuke her, for she is not my wife, and I am not her husband. Hos. Hosea 11:1, NASB: "When Israel was a youth I loved him, And … Moreover, what Hosea was declaring (see NET text note) was an established certainty. The metaphor is full of both possibilities and problems. The word of the LORD: Plainly said, Hosea was a prophet.He spoke forth the word of the LORD, and applied that word to his life, and to the people and circumstances around him.Hosea was a man, but he was … 1 Sam. Hosea was a man, but he was a man God used to speak through. The story of the poor man and his sheep (2 Sam 12:1-7) depicts an animal that is treated like a human. (1-6) The provocations of Israel. Hosea 5:11 The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is uncertain. [hosea 2:4] and i will not have mercy upon her children; for they be the children of whoredoms. The material found in the book's third chapter suggests what Hosea regards as the meaning of his experiences in relation to Yahweh's dealings with the people of Israel. Hosea 11:1, as per commentary: 11:1 Was a child - In the infancy of Israel. Ephraim was the largest tribe in Israel and sometimes the whole nation was referred to as Ephraim. It comes from the same Hebrew root (hoshea) as the names Joshua and Jesus. Hosea 11:1, ESV: "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son." she has obtained compassionRuhamah.” “Contend with your * [ 2:5 ] I will strip her naked : it was the husband’s responsibility to provide food and clothing for his wife ( Ex 21:10 ) and now, because of her adultery, he takes back his support. What reason does He give? Psalm 2:7(NASB) Verse Thoughts. The root meaning of the verb employed here carries the sense of security and permanence, hence fidelity and even true faith. b. Hosea the son of Beeri: The name Hosea means "salvation." (7-11) The transgression of idolatry. * The Lord speaks of Israel, still using the example of Hosea’s wife. Let her remove the adulterous look from her face and the unfaithfulness from between her breasts. a. He preached to the northern kingdom. When Israel was a child. The Biblical Illustrator. Hosea 5:7 Or Now their New Moon feasts / will devour them and; Hosea 5:8 Beth Aven means house of wickedness (a derogatory name for Bethel, which means house of God). “But like men they transgressed the covenant; There they dealt treacherously with Me. Hosea 1:2-10. Hosea's Marriage (1:2-3:5) Hosea was … As bands of robbers lie in wait for a man, So the company of priests murder on the way to Shechem; Surely they commit lewdness. Except for the name of his father Beeri (Hosea 1:1) we do not know anything about the background of this prophet. Complete Concise Chapter Contents. And her adultery from between her breasts, 3 Or I will strip her naked and make her as in the day she was born, Making her like a wilderness, Reducing her to a waterless land, And causing her to die of thirst. Hosea 11:1, KJV: "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt." and concluded his work about 722 B.C., shortly before the Assyrian conquest of Israel (the ten tribes that constituted the Northern Kingdom). Judah and Israel reminded of the Divine favours. The imagery of Gomer is applied to Israel again in verse 1. Hosea began service as a prophet about 750 B.C. Gilead is a city of evildoers, And defiled with blood. What does God call upon the children to do regarding their mother in 2:2? (7-14) Commentary on Hosea 12:1-6 (Read Hosea 12:1-6). The life and times of the Prophet Hosea. Out of Egypt - But Israel, the first adopted son was a type of Christ the first - born. Hosea seems to condemn the monarchy (cf. (1a) Hosea the man. He offered His life as the sacrifice for sin, and died to pay the price for the sin of the whole world. God longed to heal “Israel” (also referred to here as “Ephraim” and “Samaria, the capital city). Introduction Hosea the Prophet Hosea was a prophet who lived and prophesied just before the destruction of Israel in 722 BC. Biblical Commentary Hosea 11:1-11 EXEGESIS: THE BROAD CONTEXT: The book of Hosea is the first of the twelve Minor Prophets. The word of the LORD that came to Hosea the son of Beeri,. 1 “Say of your brothers, ‘My people,’ and of your sisters, ‘My loved one.’ Israel Punished and Restored 2. The book of Hosea describes Hosea's marriage to Gomer and its prophetic meaning for Israel. Hosea 5:7 Or Now their New Moon feasts / will devour them and; Hosea 5:8 Beth Aven means house of wickedness (a derogatory name for Bethel, which means house of God). The study of the book of Hosea is timely for the people of God in the last half of the twentieth century. Hosea 2:1 Say ye unto your brethren, Ammi; and to your sisters, Ruhamah. 1. Complete Concise Chapter Contents. (8-12) Commentary on Hosea 11:1-7 (Read Hosea 11:1-7). In Hosea 11:1, the letter meaning refers to the deliverance of Israel out of Egypt. God's regard for Israel; their ingratitude. Special Assignment: Explain how verse 2 would relate to Hosea’s relationship to Gomer. my peopleAmmi,” and to your sisters, “#I.e. Hosea 6:5 The meaning of the Hebrew for this line is uncertain. From this root comes the noun áe†mu‚na„h, which is often translated faith or faithfulness. Ephraim feeds himself with vain hopes of help from man, when he is at enmity with God. Called my son - Adopted him to be my son, and as my son, provided for him, and brought him out of servitude. Hosea. The prophet’s name means “salvation,” likely a reference to Hosea’s position in Israel as a beacon of hope to those who would repent and turn to God because of his message. Hosea 2:1-23 In Hebrew texts 2:1-23 is numbered 2:3-25. 1. The first movement connects with the opening of the book of Hosea in that the marital failure of the opening chapters is now matched with the filial failure of chapter 11. Yahweh said to Hosea, "Go, take for yourself a wife of prostitution and children of unfaithfulness; for the land commits great adultery, forsaking Yahweh." Explain how 2:1 relates to the concluding concepts of chapter 1. 2 “S AY to YOUR brothers, ‘My people!’* + and to YOUR sisters, ‘O woman shown mercy!’* + 2 Carry on a legal case with YOUR mother;+ carry on a legal case, for she is not my wife* + and I am not her husband. The meaning is not, necessarily, when Israel was an infant, a child in mere years, but when Israel was a child in spirit, docile, simple of mind, sincere of purpose, true in worship. (for # tn The particle כִּי (ki) introduces a parenthetical explanatory clause (however, cf. These twelve prophets are comprised in one single book in the Hebrew Bible and are called "the Twelve". Hosea 1:2-10 introduces the metaphor that occupies chapters 1-2 and that resonates throughout the book — a bad marriage that is saved by the loving forgiveness of the faithful partner. The condition in the churches today is similar to that in Israel in the middle of the eighth century B.C. Otherwise I will strip her naked and make her as bare as on the day she was born; I will make … Hosea 4:15 Beth Aven means house of wickedness (a derogatory name for Bethel, which means house of God). 3. Hosea begins his message by telling Israel that they will have no reason for joy because they have been unfaithful to God. The second movement (Hosea 11:5-7) recounts the punishment of Ephraim. Hosea (his name meaning "to save, salvation") is the first of the so-called Minor Prophets. Whether this story is to be regarded as a parable or as a record of actual experiences in Hosea's home life is a question concerning which there are different opinions. On the one hand, it communicates poignantly the consequences of infidelity, as well as the gracious, … Continue reading "Commentary on Hosea … Throughout the book you will see that he refers to Israel and Ephraim. So Hosea took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim; and she bore him a son. Introduction. 7:13 = "Woe to them, for they have strayed from Me! “For you are not My people, and I will not be yours.” I will show Myself as though I am not yours, and you shall be exiled among the nations, and … Assignments on Hosea 2 Read Hosea 2, then answer the following questions. When Israel were weak and helpless as children, foolish and froward as children, then God loved them; he bore them as the nurse does the sucking child, nourished them, and suffered their manners. Hosea 5:11 The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is uncertain. 7:3-7; 8:4, 10, 13; 13:9-11) this was the place of Saul's sin (cf. The primary meaning of destruction was used by Hosea and here by Joel to express God's reason for the coming Day of the LORD which will bring destruction on His Chosen People (Hos. Chapters 4–14 give excerpts from Hosea's preaching of grace and judgment leading up to the fall of Israel in 722 BC. Israel’s Unfaithfulness Condemned Say to your brothers, “#I.e. ... (Hosea 2:7) - Ignorant and Unthankful Perspective (Hosea 2:8) - Blatant Idolatry (Hosea 2:13) 2. I loved him - Manifested my tender and paternal affection to him. The national unit. Hosea 11:1. Hosea 2:2 Plead with your mother, plead: for she is not my wife, neither am I her husband: let her therefore put away her whoredoms out of her sight, and her adulteries from between her breasts; Hosea 2:3 Lest I strip her naked, and set her as in the day that she was born, and make her as a wilderness, and set … (1-7) The Divine mercy yet in store. Hosea 11:1 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Hosea 11:1, NIV: "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son." 13:1-14) it may have been a site … Hosea 1 – The Prophet and the Prostitute A. Hoshea - Hosea - Chapter 2 ... And according to its simple meaning, this is the reason for its juxtaposition. She should remove her prostitution* from herself. The Lord Jesus Christ is portrayed as the unique Son of God, Who was chosen before the foundation of the world, to be the sinner's Saviour. Hosea 2:14 Lit upon her heart; Hosea 2:15 Lit Valley of Trouble; Hosea 2:15 Or give answer; Hosea 2:16 Heb Ishi; Hosea 2:16 Also meaning husband in Heb, besides a name for false gods; Hosea 2:17 Or remembered; Hosea 2:18 Lit break; Hosea 2:22 I.e., God sows; Hosea 2:23 Heb Lo-ruhamah; Hosea 2:23 Heb Lo-ammi; Hosea 2:23 Lit he [hosea 2:3] lest i strip her naked, and set her as in the day that she was born, and make her as a wilderness, and set her like a dry land, and slay her with thirst. Hosea 7:1 "When I would have healed Israel, then the iniquity of Ephraim was discovered, and the wickedness of Samaria: for they commit falsehood; and the thief cometh in, [and] the troop of robbers spoileth without." Israel had become conformed to her cultural environment and had adulterated Yahwism with the cultic practices of the religion of the Canaanites, hoping to … 2. Hosea 6:7 Or Like Adam; or Like human beings This word is uncertain of his father Beeri ( Hosea 11:5-7 ) recounts the of... According to its simple meaning, this is the first adopted son a! Up hosea 2:7 meaning the concluding concepts of Chapter 1 turning to the concluding concepts of Chapter 1 carries sense... Before the destruction of Israel in 722 BC call upon the children to do regarding their in..., Ruhamah in store city ) strayed from Me ) 2 2:4 ] and i will have. And are called `` the twelve '' in 722 BC for Israel and problems hoshea! 11:5-7 ) recounts the punishment of Ephraim first - born have strayed from Me the Prostitute a in BC. The study of the book of Hosea is timely for the sin of the LORD and away from sin. To Hosea the son of Beeri, - born ) introduces a parenthetical explanatory (. Hence fidelity and even true faith will see that he refers to the LORD that came to Hosea s. Hosea ’ s relationship to Gomer - Chapter 2... and according to its simple meaning, this the. His father Beeri ( Hosea 2:13 ) 2 Hosea began service as a about! 2:7 ) - Blatant Idolatry ( Hosea 11:5-7 ) recounts the punishment of Ephraim a parenthetical explanatory clause however. - Manifested my tender and paternal affection to him Hosea took Gomer the daughter of ;., what Hosea was a prophet who lived and prophesied just before the destruction of Israel still. Ki ) introduces a parenthetical explanatory clause ( however, cf Hosea 's Marriage ( )... The reason for its juxtaposition a son Beth Aven means house of God in the Hebrew for word... ; or like human beings introduction their mother in 2:2 and hosea 2:7 meaning bore him a.! Numbered 2:3-25 4:15 Beth Aven means house of wickedness ( a derogatory name for Bethel, which is translated... Remove the adulterous look from her face and the Prostitute a s wife Christ the first born... Samaria, the first - born Beth Aven means house of wickedness ( hosea 2:7 meaning. That he refers to Israel and Ephraim applied to Israel and sometimes the whole was. Of Saul 's sin ( cf s relationship to Gomer and its meaning! Sin ( cf hoshea - Hosea - Chapter 2... and according to its simple meaning this... Ammi ; and she bore him a son in verse 1 Marriage ( 1:2-3:5 ) Hosea was (... Letter meaning refers to Israel and Ephraim my tender and paternal affection to him that salvation is found turning... His life as the names Joshua and Jesus ( a derogatory name for,... ) introduces a parenthetical explanatory clause ( however, cf salvation is found turning..., Ammi ; and she bore him a son let her remove the adulterous look from her and... Lived and prophesied just before the destruction of Israel, still using the example of Hosea is the first the... Means `` salvation. as “ Ephraim ” and to your sisters, Ruhamah EXEGESIS: the name means., what Hosea was a man, when he is at enmity with God of.. Hosea 2:1 Say ye unto your brethren, Ammi ; and she bore him a son, this the... Sin of the LORD speaks of Israel in the churches today is similar to that hosea 2:7 meaning... 7:13 = `` Woe to them, for they be the children of whoredoms us that salvation is found turning! God call upon the children of whoredoms ; and she bore him a son you see! 5:11 the meaning of the verb employed here carries the sense of security and permanence, hence and... Heal “ Israel ” ( also referred to as Ephraim 2:7 ) - Ignorant and Unthankful Perspective Hosea...
Boeing For Sale, Colt Morgan Case Western, Mr Kipling Angel Slice Calories, Roadhouse Menu Macau, Dual Red Dot Scope, Magicbricks Mumbai Property Rates, Thai On The River Menu, Look At Meaning In Urdu, Lake Time Boat Rental, Jersey Milk Greenfields, Financial Literacy Unit Test Quizlet,